Core Strategy - Consultation Draft

Document Section Core Strategy - Consultation Draft Chapter 3: Spatial Policies Living Within Environmental Limits CS8: Minerals Planning in North Somerset CS8: Minerals Planning in North Somerset [View all comments on this section]
Comment ID 1019201/CSCD/9
Respondent Wrington Parish Council [View all comments by this respondent]
Response Date 19 Feb 2010
Current Status Accepted
Comment
Without referring to other policies and reports it is difficult to assess the justification for this policy on the basis of the information provided. For example, while North Somerset is reported as providing 40% of the West of England apportionment, with South Gloucestershire all the remaining 60%, there is no explanation for the absence of any aggregate supply from B&NES, where the geology is similar in places. Also, it is known that the sub-region is supplied with aggregate from the Mendip Hills quarries and it seems misguided to ignore this source. It is notable that while there is reference to works related to environmental impacts in para 3.145, there's no mention of road traffic issues and the potentially serious local impacts of heavy aggregates vehicles. While it is accepted that the Core Strategy is a high level policy, there are significant local impacts on Downside Road and Hyatts Wood Road from Freemans Quarry traffic. There are also impacts on A370 villages related to Stancombe Quarry.
Attachments